2018 stole my Mojo and I really need it back!
I had all sorts of plans at the end of 2017. I was going to hit the ground running. Sadly, mother nature arrived with a virus so the tail end of 2017/early part of 2018 began with a case of the lethargies and the sniffles. My mojo well and truly left the building but that said, I anticipated its return and made my 2018 plans.
I don’t really do resolutions because I rarely keep them and why set myself up to fail? Instead, I highlight a few mores and lesses I want to focus on. This year I decided that if I actually focused on the ‘mores’ I was more likely to stick to the plan, plus the ‘mores’ would probably bring about the ‘lesses’ by default. I am hoping this makes sense. It makes sense to me.
Anyway, I decided, I needed more things that would make me feel less stressed and happier:
- More travel, at home and abroad. This is a must. That old bucket list is not going to tick itself off.
- I certainly want to maintain more personal connections this year and re-establish old ones in real life that I am connected with on Facebook.
- I am hoping more travelling will lead to more opportunities for photography which I really enjoy.
- More focus on healthy living – better diet, more regular habits, time management, more exercise and better sleep. I enjoy and benefit from these things but for some reason, they are always the first to go.
- I also get mentally bored really fast so I want to get down and do some studying this year.
The saying is ‘less is more’, in this case, I am hoping that ‘more is going to be less’ and the less that I really do need is less stress!
- More focus on a healthy lifestyle = less stress.
- More travelling, photography, connections with folks I like and value = less stress
And my major LESS was work. I work 24 hours a week in employment, but I regularly have to pull 12 hour days for freelancing and my aim at the end of 2017 was that this really does need to stop. I can’t afford to give up the freelance work, especially if I want to travel, but I can organise myself better and start saying no. This should lead to a lot less stress.
So, what has gone wrong? I am stressed. My mojo is still somewhere else, hopefully on a sun-drenched beach sipping a cocktail.
Essentially, the work thing has not panned out as I had hoped. I have been pulling 12 hour days at least twice a week since the off. I am now also studying for a degree in Psychology which is requiring a certain amount of time and I really want to do this, it has been on hold since 2012! Rightly or wrongly, I mostly feel like my life has continued to be a series of incessant demands with no time to take a breath.
2018 is only 20 days old and I am still minus one mojo and mostly just as exhausted as I was before. I am coming down with stuff like sore throats, mouth ulcers and a few days ago I had the first IBS flare up I have had in months. I am grumpy. My (almost) overwhelming desire at the moment is to pack my stuff, get in my van and drive off, camping up for a week and spending time in nature and sleeping.
It has to change and has to stop. I have no idea how.